Knights Templar NWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights Templar NWN

A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GammaGm

Greatswords, Great Axes, etc. Empty
PostSubject: Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.   Greatswords, Great Axes, etc. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05 2009, 19:33

As I've noted other places, I think two-handed weapons are cool, but they are a serious liability to survival due to reduced AC and the extra mods placed upon a shield.

Therefore a proposed SET:

Armageddon Set

Armor of the Bold Knight:

Full Plate
10 AC
+2 Str
+5 Regen
10/- Slashing

Blade of Reckoning
Two-Handed Sword
2d12 Slashing
+8
Lvl 20 On Hit
+15 Massive Crits

Cloak of Fell Blows
+4 AC
Overwhelming Crit Greatsword
10/- Pierce

Belt of Anvils
+2 Con
+5 regen
8 Discipline
15/- Bludgeon

SET Bonus
45/- Slash Pierce Bludgeon
30% Slash Pierce Bludgeon
Aura (2d20 slash per round)
DC14 Stun 1 Round
Lvl 25 On Hit effect
+18 weapon Enchant

I suggest the set bonus mods be made particularly high so that in essence a player would get very little out of the set if they tried to use a Minotaur cloak to add a shield to the overall package.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.   Greatswords, Great Axes, etc. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05 2009, 20:38

I love the names for the items. Certain effects cannot be placed on some of the items.

Overwhelming criticals cannot be added to any item whatsoever.

Aura (2d20) slash might be possible as a separate custom programmed spell like effect. It would require alterations to the on-equip and on-deequip scripts.

DC 14 stun effects are totally worthless at higher levels. I don't believe anything would fail a DC14. Higher level DC stun effects are possible, but they would have to be custom programmed into the on-hit script. This script is run every time any weapon in the game hits anything, so I try to avoid adding any further code to it.

Level 25 on hit effects from a set bonus? That's something I have never considered, but it might be possible. The on hit damage is custom programmed and is calculated when you equip or de-equip the weapon. I would have to add coding so that when you equip a particular set bonus, it increases the on hit damage variable. It's possible.

+18 weapon enhancement on a set bonus? Definitely not possible, even with custom programming. Weapon enhancement effects can only be added to melee weapons.
Back to top Go down
Clive Forumposter

Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.   Greatswords, Great Axes, etc. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06 2009, 08:39

I like the idea of a set for two handers, but why limit the weapon choice by having a 2H Sword as part of the set? what about players who prefer the higher crit damage of an axe, or the double damage type from a scythe or halberd? or the players that like the challenge of trying to hurt things with a staff? Not to mention the prospect for dual wielders.

Also a four piece set is a little too easy to finish, why not remove the sword, and add some boots, gloves and a hat.

Boots of Fey Striding - More CON, high dodge AC bonus, haste, displacement x3 per day

Gauntlets of Heroes - More STR bonus, special use for more attacks per round for a limited time x 1 per day (same as potion of heroism, cannot be stacked with PoH.)

Helm of the Neck Brace - Higher deflection AC, immunity - paralysis, improved rolls again mind spells, negative effect for INT and WIS (what wise, smart person rushes into a fight without a shield???)

Together with the other three parts I think this would make a pretty good lvl 60+ set, would like to see it happen.

PS. Ignore my suggestions for names, now that I read them back it seems they are cheesier than a cheese shop in france.
Back to top Go down
Clive Forumposter

Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.   Greatswords, Great Axes, etc. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06 2009, 09:00

While we are on the subject of 2H weapons, can someone tell me if it is possible to restrict the use of a weapon based on a player stat, for example a greataxe that can only be weilded by a character with STR over 40.

The reason being that If you have a lump of metal as big as a greataxe head and you hit things with it, it will do a fair degree of bludgeoning damage just due to the sheer weight so I was thinking could a greataxe be created that caused the normal expected slashing damage and then some additional bludgeoning as well but only usable if you are pretty strong.

Maybe go a little something like this.

Clive's Big Frickin' Axe :-)

+12
2d12 bludgeoning
On hit level 16 *insert elemental damage type here (magic or posi preferably)*
keen
only usable STR 30+ (or maybe just make it really really heavy, who ever really carries 30 tonnes of equipment anyway?)

I would expect this to be a lvl 60+ weapon but I have kept the enchantment and on hit lower than other similarly high level weapons because of the double damage type.

It is just an idea, but I would like to see the laws of physics being at least acknowledged once or twice in NWN.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.   Greatswords, Great Axes, etc. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06 2009, 10:21

Yes, I can add custom ability requirements to weapons. It wouldn't be difficult. I could even have it look at base strength versus buffed and not give the bonus to someone who doesn't possess the base strength.
Back to top Go down
GammaGm

PostSubject: Re: Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.   Greatswords, Great Axes, etc. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06 2009, 20:59

How about that there are multiple weapons that could complete the set? That would permit different types due to preferences etc. You could perhaps have progression of weapons found at different dungeons that would do different things, but the other components remain the same (armor, cloak, boots(see below), etc.).

DC 14 has a 5% chance of working on a failed roll, unless the scripts are modified. Stun should automatically penetrate mind immune etc. Being stunned during a round is a serious effect cuz you get no attacks or actions. Not happening often makes things more interesting, especially as a hidden effect.

You have to leave the weapon as part of the set or any old weapon would give some pretty overwhelming protection and offense.

I'm not adverse to adding another part to the set:

Juggernaut's Tread (boots)
4 AC
Improved Knockdown
Barbarian Fast Movement
5 Regen

But on to weapons------

Axe of the Barbarian Youth

+6 Enhancement
2d12 Fire
Lvl8 Onhit Effect
Lvl 40 Required
Barbarian Only

In addition to the other set effects -Set effect- Barb Terrifying Rage increase DC+ 5
(none of the barb axes have the crushing damage aura due to aura enhancement of rage)

Axe of the Barbarian Master
+10 enhancement
2d12 fire
Lvl 12 On hit effect
Lvl 52 Required
Barbarian Only

In addition to the other set effects -Set effect- Barb Terrifying Rage increase DC+ 8
Taunt + 5
2d6 Bludgeon

Axe of the Barbarian Lord
+12 enhancement
2d12 Fire
lvl 16 on hit effect
lvl 60 required
Barbarian Only
Str req 22

In addition to the other set effects -Set effect- Barb Terrifying Rage increase DC+ 10
Taunt + 10
Intimidate +8
2d12 Bludgeon
Massive criticals 10

Axe of the Barbarian Hordemaster
+18 enhancement
2d20 fire
lvl 22 on-hit effect
Special required (d15 boss)
Barbarian Only
Str required 28

In addition to the other set effects -Set effect- Barb Terrifying Rage increase DC+ 13
Taunt + 15
Intimidate +12
2d12 Bludgeon
2d20 Slash
Massive criticals 20

A barbarian in this set could probably hang with paladins, and add something to the party. Especially if certain pain in the rear mobs (lil moppets, pitbulls) had about a 30% chance of fleeing in terror with maxed Terrifying Rage. Other mobs such as spiders, abyss knights should be immune. She demons should maybe have like a 10% chance of failure.

Scepter of Knights (This set drops the aura of bludgeon damage)
Heavy Flail
+6 Enhancement
2d12 Cold
Lvl8 Onhit Effect
Lvl 40 Required
Fighter Only

In addition to the other set effects -Set effect- 2d6 Pierce

Scepter of Princes
Heavy Flail
+10 Enhancement
2d12 Cold
Lvl12 Onhit Effect
Lvl 52 Required
Fighter Only

In addition to the other set effects -Set effect- 2d12 Pierce 5 discipline 5 appraise

Scepter of Kings
+12 enhancement
2d12 Cold
lvl 16 on hit effect
lvl 60 required
Fighter only
Str req 22

In addition to the other set effects -Set effect- Manticore Spikes (monster ability from the toolset) 2d12 Pierce to all in radius 10 discipline 10 appraise

Scepter of the Overlord (this set includes the description that the set appears oddly alive and regenerating as if some creature's spirit was active within)
+18 enhancement
2d20 cold
lvl 22 on-hit effect
Fighter Only
Str required 28

In addition to the other set effects -Set effect- Manticore Spikes (monster ability from the toolset) 2d20 Pierce to all in radius 10 discipline 10 appraise Pulse Cold Ability (monster ability from the toolset) 2d12 cold

More ideas later
Back to top Go down
GammaGm

PostSubject: Re: Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.   Greatswords, Great Axes, etc. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27 2009, 21:05

Spears are probably the most despised of all the weapons in NWN. I suppose a staff takes the prize, but if you call a spear a lance, it might actually have a chance at gaining a measure of respect.

Stripling's Lance

Spear
+6 Enhancement
2d12 Acid
Lvl8 Onhit Effect
Lvl 40 Required
Paladin Spell Slot 1
Paladin Only

In addition to the other set effects -Set effect- 2d6 Pierce

Horseman's Lance
+10 Enhancement
2d12 Cold
Lvl12 Onhit Effect
Lvl 52 Required
Paladin Spell Slot 1
Paladin Spell Slot 1
Paladin Spell Slot 2
Paladin Only

In addition to the other set effects -Set effect-
Add additional smite evil
Taunt + 8
2d10 Pierce

Paladin Lord's Smite
+18 enhancement
2d20 Divine
lvl 22 on-hit effect
Paladin Spell Slot 1
Paladin Spell Slot 1
Paladin Spell Slot 2
Paladin Spell Slot 2
Paladin Spell Slot 3
Paladin Spell Slot 4
Paladin Only
Str required 28

In addition to the other set effects -Set effect-
Add 3 additional smite evil
Holy Avenger
Taunt + 15
20 Massive Critical
2d20 Pierce
2x per day Searing Light lvl 20
2x per day Arrow of Death (Arcane Archer feat) at DC 58
Back to top Go down
Lifon

PostSubject: Re: Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.   Greatswords, Great Axes, etc. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27 2009, 21:58

Amen to all of the above. I've been working on a build that I'd like to use a 'lance-like' weapon or GS but boy do I take a pounding even in D3 with such weapons, it would be nice to have improved sets for Greatsword, Hally, Scythe and spear wielders.
Back to top Go down
Warchief

Warchief

PostSubject: Re: Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.   Greatswords, Great Axes, etc. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28 2009, 04:01

I like the idea of a set without a shield for those who use two handed weapons. What you could do tho is have multiple weapons with the same name and same stats for a complete set in the first post. That way you dont need a long list of posibilities and just have a weapon name that works for all weapons that would be a part of the set and make anyone of them useable to complete the set. I think a good name that would work for any two-handed weapon would be Armageddon Weed Wacker. I mean weeds can probably be hacked to peices with a scythe, sword, axe, mace, staff etc. So it fits with all types of weapons. Just a thought and hopefully we will see a more twohanded friendly set.
Back to top Go down
GammaGm

PostSubject: Re: Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.   Greatswords, Great Axes, etc. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28 2009, 18:24

I tried to create scaled items that increase in power relative to character level as well as diverse weapons that ALL use the same armor, cloak, belt etc.

The set does have a name if you look above.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.   Greatswords, Great Axes, etc. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greatswords, Great Axes, etc.
Page 1 of 1