Knights Templar NWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights Templar NWN

A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Exotic and under represented weapon ideas

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nuli

Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Empty
PostSubject: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05 2010, 20:54

I think you use a spreadsheet to assign levels and such so here are some midlevel weapon ideas for exotic and unusual weapon choices

Glorious Spear
Base item: Spear
+5
Keen
2d12 Lightning damage
On hit lvl 5
Light bright white 20'

Line Breaker
Base item: Halberd
+5
2d12 Magic damage
On hit lvl 5
Bonus feat: Improved Knockdown

Heavy Metal
Base Item: Two Bladed Sword
+5
2d12 Fire damage
On hit lvl 5
Massive Crit 2d12

Smash and Bash
Base item: Dire mace
+5
2d12 Bludgeoning damage
On hit lvl 5
Strength+2
Great Thunderclap 3/day

Crimson Splash
Base item: Double Axe
+5
2d12 Slashing damage
On hit lvl 5
Keen
1d8 positive energy damage vs undead
1d8 divine energy damage vs evil

Spinebuster
Base item: Heavy flail
+5
2d12 Negative energy
On hit lvl 5
Massive critical 2d12
Bigby's Crushing Hand 2/day
Only usable by: chaotic evil

Thats all for now!
Let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05 2010, 22:13

You always come up with great stuff, Nuli. I'll incorporate these in the next update. Some of the features can't be added, such as improved knockdown, but I'll see if I can keep them close to your original concept. The hardest part of making items is coming up with humorous descriptions.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05 2010, 22:36

If anyone else has ideas for items, I'll try to include them. There are limits to what can be done. All item properties that could be added are probably already in the module, so if you think of something you want added that you haven't seen on another item already, it probably can't be done. For example, many feats can't be added to weapons. I can add knockdown, but not improved knockdown. The properties are also limited by the item type. For example, a bow can never have an enhancement bonus.

Even though you are restricted to the item properties in the toolset, item properties can be combined in many different ways. You might have a particular combination that would fit your style of play or character. If you want something that hasn't already been done, please post the idea. Open the toolset and try to make the item. If you can't assign a particular property to the item, neither can I (short of making custom coding to simulate the property...something that I'll only do on rare occasions when the idea is a great one).

I have a program that assigns the level requirement based on the properties added, so again, try to keep the item properties similar to existing items. In other words, a +20 weapon for level 10 characters is just not going to happen (unless, of course, you can add enough penalties that somehow justify it). Items with restrictions and harmful properties (decreased ability scores, AC, etc) are generally lower in level than similar items with no restrictions.

If you really want to be helpful, provide the item description, too. I love item names and description that include movie quotes, references to popular culture, jokes, etc..
Back to top Go down
Abriymoch

PostSubject: Re: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06 2010, 03:59

Sarah the DM wrote:
You always come up with great stuff, Nuli. I'll incorporate these in the next update. Some of the features can't be added, such as improved knockdown, but I'll see if I can keep them close to your original concept. The hardest part of making items is coming up with humorous descriptions.

They can indeed be added. However it requires a modified iprp_feats.2da and if you haven't added the necessary lines to your dialogue.tlk file to include the new StrRef information the description on the item will say 'Bonus Feat: Bad Strref".

**Edit** I'll provide an item while I'm at it.

Ring of the Stalwart
Ability Bonus: Strength: +2
Immunity: Knockdown
Skill Penalty: Discipline: 15

Dauntless Ring of the Stalwart
Ability Bonus: Strength: +4
Immunity: Knockdown
Skill Penalty: Discipline: 10

Tenacious Provocation (Gauntlets) (Level 60 or requires d15 Completion)
Ability Bonus: Dexterity: +4
Ability Bonus: Strength: +4
Skill Bonus: Taunt: +20
Attack Bonus: +16
OnHit CastSpell: Knockdown (Level 30) (DC 40 check)
CastSpell: Unique Power: 1 use/day*

** The unique Power will do 10d20 bludgeoning damage to the target and knocks it down for 1d3 + 1 rounds rounds.

Cohesive Benediction (Bracers) (Level 60 or requires d15 or d16 Completion)
Damage Resistance: Slashing: 40/-
Damage Resistance: Piercing: 30/-
Damage Resistance: Bludgeoning: 20/-
Damage Reduction: +20: Soak: 15
Spell Resistance: 26
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07 2010, 20:18

* I won't change anything that requires a .hak file.

* As noted in previous posts, I don't make immunity items (exceptions: artifacts and set bonuses). I have coding that specifically removes any immunity properties from items when you equip them.

* As mentioned, I don't make items that are inconsistent with ones already in the game. Add +15 discipline to a ring? That is NOT consistent with other items and discipline is one of those skills that is easily exploited. On a ring? You think I'm going to let folks add +30 by wearing two +15 rings? Not going to happen.

* Knockdown 10d20 "on hit" spell? An "on hit cast" is a permanent effect. Did you mean a temporary (short duration) effect that could knock an opponent down?
Back to top Go down
Abriymoch

PostSubject: Re: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07 2010, 21:53

The +15 Discipline you were mentioning is a PENALTY. Taking away 15 discipline, not adding it.

There's an OnHit CastSpell knockdown spell. It's exact spell name is "Knockdown (Monster Only; DC 10 + CasterLevel)" So having the gloves cast the level 30 knockdown spell would knock a creature down for 6 seconds if they fail a DC of 40. The onhit doesn't do any damage.

The point of the CastSpell: Unique Power: is a guaranteed 1-time/perday knockdown for a short duration. One monster only.

Editing .2das does not make anything require a .hak. As long as it sits in your override folder the changes take place. **EDIT** For everyone.

Last edited by Abriymoch on Sun Mar 07 2010, 22:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abriymoch

PostSubject: Re: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07 2010, 21:55

Oh, and the Arrows of Slaying don't function on Undead.

No damage (at least when they fail a save, but they dont die, so damage always occuring would be nice), no instant death effect.

If you want them to be slain from the Power Word Kill spell, you'll need to add a line to check for undead, and make the EffectDeath() into a SupernaturalEffect(), which makes it bypass Death magic Immunity.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08 2010, 09:17

I understand how to script. If you are really that upset with KT, you are welcome to script your own module.

Perhaps I'm being a bit unkind, but you're always coming up with complaints, and you didn't apparently read my comments on this thread about keeping items reasonably powered compared to existing ones in the module. Every time you post, it seems like you are trying to find some new advantage to unbalance the game.

I don't know your motives for suggesting something like a discipline ring with a skill bonus higher than any currently in the module, but it sure seems like you're trying to unbalance things. Like I'm so dense I don't realize you'll stack the rings for an even more unbalanced advantage. Yet, that's exactly what you appear to want (the module is easy enough as it is. You don't need some additional advantage to beat down other players or monsters who aren't knockdown immune).

Then you complain about the arrows not working correctly on undead. I don't need to told how to fix it as I'm the one who wrote the script for it in the first place. I had already noted the arrows don't do damage like they should, too ALL target creatures.

I have a job and a family and program when I can. Just putting the arrows in the game (craft table at rogue guild, conversation for AA and ranger on crafting menu, power word kill alterations, and all the other associated scripts) took a couple days worth my available time. I'll fix the remaining issues when I can.
Back to top Go down
Abriymoch

PostSubject: Re: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08 2010, 10:16

I hate to have to say this again, but it's NOT a skill BONUS.

The post clearly says "SKILL PENALTY". As in taking away from the skill.

I'm sorry for sounding condescending in my posts about the scripts, but I see new things being implemented before older things are being fixed (modified animal companions are newer than arrows of slaying), so I assumed you were still trying to figure out how to fix it. assuming made me look like an ass.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, I just try to point out thigns I notice that
a) dont seem tow work right and
b) could be improved.
Back to top Go down
Zandelf

PostSubject: Re: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08 2010, 11:09

Blackstaff: 10 eb, 2d12 negative, on hit lvl 18, shadow shield 3 uses per day, negative energy protection 3 uses per day
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08 2010, 20:26

I don't mind you pointing out things that don't work. If I asked for you to report glitches and you did, then I'm wrong for complaining when you report them. It's not what you report so much as how you report them. It comes across like I'm a moron who can't figure out how to write a script.

The KT scripts are quite complex now. It's very difficult to change something without introducing new difficulties. It's not that I don't care about the glitches. I do, and I will attempt to fix them when I can.

My apologies on the discipline skill penalty. I really SHOULD read closer before I comment. Again, I completely blew it on that one. I also do like the idea of a custom programmed knockdown similar to the Knight's Grasp. Instead of grabbing you and holding you fast, it would knock you down if you failed the save.

There's a separate constitution-based system in the module to take care of things like unique powers. Weapon powerups fall under that. If you want to do more of the unique spells, you need a higher constitution. Anyway, my apologies on the skill bonus.
Back to top Go down
Abriymoch

PostSubject: Re: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08 2010, 20:58

Not a problem. After reading what you said I re-read my posts... all of them.

I'll work on just reporting the problem, and NOT voice anything else unless you should ask.

But, Look into modified .2das? Very Happy Granted you have the rest shortened already, but things like increased PC movement speed, increased item stacks for scrolls and potions, and the ability to put any feat on an item are extraordinarily nifty.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exotic and under represented weapon ideas   Exotic and under represented weapon ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exotic and under represented weapon ideas
Page 1 of 1