Knights Templar NWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights Templar NWN

A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Caudata

Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons? Empty
PostSubject: Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons?   Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28 2010, 01:23

thought I'd ask before risking a gem . . .

I know about the Bow Wax and Mighty.

And BTW, do the merchants offer to "upgrade" ranged weapons (AB I assume) like they do melee weapons (EB)?

And as a related question, is there any way to "craft" bolts and arrows or are they all found or bought? The reason I ask THAT question is the high rate of arrow buring of an AA and the high cost of arrows. It's not unreasonable to burn through 1000+ arrows in less than an hour.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons?   Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28 2010, 10:17

Alas, the NWN coding determines the price of arrows based on the properties assigned to them. If I sold them for less than cost, then a person with a very favorable merchant reaction could possibly turn a profit. I would have to ensure that all merchants in the module paid less than what it would cost to obtain the arrows from a non-standard (custom programmed) merchant.

Archers get some pretty healthy bonuses on KT. Like fighters, certain class/weapon configurations can increase your arrow damage considerably. I definitely don't like to give out precise details, like precise bonuses and mathematical formulas. Suffice it to say that KT typically gives single-classed characters better bonuses than multi-classed ones, and the more you specialize in something the greater the likely advantage.

As for improving bows, up to +20 AB bows are available in the module. I could possibly make a way to upgrade existing bows, but I have other higher priorities at the moment. My programming time is limited, and it typically takes quite a bit of work to make changes now that KT is such a gigantic module.

What I really want to do is completely rework the anvil system so that upgrade an existing item and doing an initial enchantment are handled by the coding. I would like to permit upgrades to every item, not just empty ones or ones that you've previously enchanted. For example, I think you should be able to upgrade the DR on any armor that has an existing DR. Same thing with weapons. If someone wants to pay enough, they should be able to upgrade any of the custom weapons, like the True Strike sword.
Back to top Go down
Nuli

PostSubject: Re: Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons?   Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28 2010, 18:15

Being able to upgrade any item would make me bounce and cheers
Back to top Go down
Caudata

PostSubject: Re: Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons?   Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29 2010, 23:04

Sarah the DM wrote:
Suffice it to say that KT typically gives single-classed characters better bonuses than multi-classed ones, and the more you specialize in something the greater the likely advantage.

Uhhh, I could be wrong, but I think it to be impossible to build a mono-class AA. In fact, most people make them as tri-class rather than even dual-classed. You need one class in mage (bard, wiz, or sorc) and then you have 8 more levels to wait until your AB is high enough to take the AA class, which is filled often by monk for the extra attack with monk speed. I'm sure there are many variations, however. But AA is the only serious archer class with all of the bonus feats for arching. Rangers are sometimes chosen and you could of course always arch with most any class, but not nearly as effectively, IMHO. But then KT is pretty much completely re-written, so I have no idea what works best here, so I go with what I think I know... if you have contrary advise, (without giving away any trade secrets of course) I'd love to hear it, but as you say, actual written information about details of how very, very different things work on KT are very scarce so planning is pretty much guess work much of the time.

BUT, that had nothing to do with the original 3 questions:

1) Does the Anvil support upgrading Bows (elemental damage/ON HIT) like it would any melee weapon? --- I think your answer was "No", yes? So I should not waste a gem trying?

What confused me was
Sarah the DM wrote:
As for improving bows, up to +20 AB bows are available in the module.
I interpreted this as meaning that there are dropped or purchased bows, but no upgrades available through the anvil.

(BTW, I, for one, am satisfied that you have done a perfectly good job with the anvil system the way it is--- well except for that annoying crafter on equip limit, but then we have been over that ground Smile.

2) Do the merchants offer to upgrade bows like they do melee weapons (EB) ? I am guessing you were saying the answer is also "No" and for the same justification i.e. you can always find or buy a good enough bow without the crafting.

3) Alternative ways to get arrows - I see what you mean about someone getting tempted to craft arrows and sell them. That had never occurred to me, but then I am a little slow, anyway and not much of an exploiter. --- I read what others had asked about special archers quivers and might suggest something found on another server I played. They had a "quiver" object that had "on use" code that created 5 sets of 99 arrows in your inventory 3/day meaning you had to rest to renew it. You could even set which kind of arrows you wanted to make with another "on use" object. You could check the users level in the script and generate appropriately scaled arrows.
Another idea might be to allow crafted arrows that are not purchased by the merchants (I think you can set items as stolen that merchants will refuse to buy.
If that worked you could even have one merchant alone that buys and sells arrows like they do for stolen items.

I seem to meet a lot of people that love AAs, but very few of them running around. Maybe they just aren't playing them at the moment?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons?   Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does the Anvil support Ranged Weapons?
Page 1 of 1