Knights Templar NWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights Templar NWN

A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

US server changing to match Far East

Go down 
+2
Sarah the DM
fossil101
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fossil101

fossil101

US server changing to match Far East Empty
PostSubject: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15 2009, 20:31

Just a few concerns about this change. Does this mean that everyone will have to start from scratch again? What will happen to the Far East One? Will you consider transfering our toons from Far East to the US server when its done?
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2009, 00:32

I'm just putting the most recent version of KTII on the US server (while I'm here), removing the "II" designation from KTII (which I needed to keep track of the different versions), and deleting the existing server vault. This will update the US server to the most recent KT version. It won't affect the Far East server at all, and I hope the regulars will continue to play that one.

In other words, the server in Japan will be renamed Knights Templar, but no characters or records will be deleted. The Far East server will continue to get regular updates.

The US server will not receive regular updates, and I hope to add scripting to it that will direct everyone to the Far East IP address. I'm hoping this will draw in new players (and maybe some old ones) and make it easier for them to find the Far East server.
Back to top Go down
Warchief

Warchief

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2009, 15:02

What exactly is the point of putting KT2 on KT1 and deleting the existing server vault just to add scripting to direct players to the new and updated frequently server? Why not just keep the old server running as it is and just add the scripting to direct new and old players to the newer server? Many of the players on KT2 have characters on KT1 that they have put a lot of work and effort into and wouldn't mind keeping them on the old server if they have issues with some players or lag on KT2 so that they can still enjoy playing KT without having to start from scratch on a server that will never be updated anyway. What would be a neat alternative is that you add some of the changes that you made to the dungeons on KT2 to KT1 (at least in the lower dungeons) to give the newer players a taste of the newer and update frequently server but still keep the crafting system, immunities, guilds etc. that makes KT1 different from KT2. Just my opinion and I think it would be a shame to lose the old KT for a second version of KT2.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2009, 20:33

The point is that there really only is one KT, the one I'm working on. The old version may appeal to some folks, but just like DX, I'm not going to maintain DX, DX2, and KT servers. As soon as I return to the states permanently, the most recent version of my module is what I'll be running. Plus, I really don't like competing against older versions of my modules for the limited number of players still on NWN.

Perhaps I could switch to DX2 on the US server and change it to direct players to Knights Templar. Of course, we then get back into the thing about my older module competing against my newer one. There are a lot of similarities between the two modules, but DX2 is a cake walk with very little beyond just bashing stuff. However, I won't deny it appeals to some players far more than the challenging environment of KT. Plus then you have issues with players coming here asking for changes to a server that I long ago stopped working on.

If I had it my way, I'd make the US server do nothing more than redirect players to my IP in Japan, so they can play my most recent work. After all, that's why I'm still putting effort into it. As soon as players stop coming, there's no reason to do any more or even maintain a server at all.
Back to top Go down
Warchief

Warchief

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2009, 21:59

Fair enough and good point. Now I see what you are getting at. Thank you for your constant efforts in making such a great server and I hope it continues to grow. Of course there is a way you could just make the US server redirect people to the Japan server by putting the Golden Griffon Inn as the only area with it redirecting players to the Japan Server but then again that wont give the most current players a second server for when things do go wrong with the KT2 server whether that is serious lag or players on a bad day. Decision is yours after all since you designed it. Thank you for giving me understanding of your intentions and for your continous work and effort put into the server.
Back to top Go down
fossil101

fossil101

PostSubject: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18 2009, 00:54

Thanks Sarah for the clear explanation for US server now functioning. We do appreciate all the hard work and time you are putting into the server.

I know the server looks like a ghost town sometimes but players have been sick, some dear hunting and some have computer problems. We all kinda panicked a bit thinking we would have to start all over from scratch again but, I asked the question and you were so kind to clear up the matter quickly. I would rather ask you to explain something I dont understand than to assume and be totaly off base.

Thanks Again cheers
Back to top Go down
DarkSky

DarkSky

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18 2009, 02:59

I appreciate your time and all the good your doing to give us a place to come and forget real life problems, it's just going to take some time getting used to the new ways. Smile

I haven't been into playing much for the pass two weeks, this flu isn't one to mess around with and to top that off my new computer is showing it's butt, I need new driver update. Sad

Thank you again for all you do Sarah.
Back to top Go down
Koelenis

Koelenis

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29 2009, 00:17

Sarah the DM wrote:
I'm just putting the most recent version of KTII on the US server (while I'm here), removing the "II" designation from KTII (which I needed to keep track of the different versions), and deleting the existing server vault. This will update the US server to the most recent KT version. It won't affect the Far East server at all, and I hope the regulars will continue to play that one.

How will deleting the server vault affect stored and total XP? As it stands, I'd rather have a do-over on the US server, where I have over 3 years of XP available, than the Far East server, where I have to grind for all the levels I can get, and finding gear is much worse. If I understand correctly, deleting the server vault means that we don't get to keep the same characters, but it would be really nice if I could keep the only toon I've ever had that has defeated the Vile King. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29 2009, 03:39

No do-overs planned on the Far East Server. Plus, I decided to keep the US server as is. I did upload a slightly modified KT version to the US server. It will routinely broadcast the IP for the Far East Server and the link for the message forum.

DO NOT FEAR the reset on Knights Templar II. I do everything I can to make changes without deleting the existing server vault. Just be aware that the Far East server might still have changes that affect items, but they shouldn't require a complete item reset. A character reset is definitely not planned. An item reset is possible but I will try to avoid one.
Back to top Go down
Abriymoch

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29 2009, 18:25

Might you upload DX2 for people to downlaod and play on there own? It was a wonderful server. Heck, you could email it to me! theamazingleo@live.com

Last edited by Abriymoch on Mon Nov 30 2009, 01:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29 2009, 20:36

I don't distribute any of the modules, because they are related. Knights Templar is really DX3. Plus, once it's out there, I couldn't stop anyone from running it on a server and competing with its newer versions.
Back to top Go down
Abriymoch

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30 2009, 01:59

Could you extract the module and send me your script bank? I'd love to see some of your work when it comes to coding.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30 2009, 11:01

I'm not sure what you mean by extracting a module. By script bank, do you mean my custom libraries? I only use the default Bioware scripts or my own custom coding. I don't import scripting from any other source. If you would like to know how I implemented a particular feature, I'd be happy to explain, but I won't export scripts that took extensive time to create.

For example, I solved the rest problem by using a switch with case statements for rest start and rest cancel. On rest start, I do a slightly delayed force rest and output the Zzzzzz floating text. Doing a force rest creates a rest cancel event and calls the module's on rest script a second time. This time the switch statement adds custom rest effects, like an attack bonus for a good night's rest, saves the character, and checks for wandering monsters, depending on the character's location.
Back to top Go down
Abriymoch

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30 2009, 21:52

No, I mean, when you open your module in the toolset, the scripts decompress into C:Neverwinter Nighters/NWN/modules/temp0 I was hoping you could send me the scripts from there once you've openend the mdo. Will elt em see the scripts but not rebuild the areas, mosnters, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: US server changing to match Far East   US server changing to match Far East Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

US server changing to match Far East
Page 1 of 1