Knights Templar NWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights Templar NWN

A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ambient Monsters

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
harmjustice

harmjustice

Ambient Monsters Empty
PostSubject: Ambient Monsters   Ambient Monsters Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15 2009, 22:27

I would really love to see your spawns doing more than just standing there, I meen they already have heart beats...
could you start making them walk around it looks so much better, even if they cast some buffs ect....
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Ambient Monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambient Monsters   Ambient Monsters Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16 2009, 12:44

Sure, if you'd like more lag by using valuable server time to run longer heartbeat scripts.
Back to top Go down
DarkSky

DarkSky

Ambient Monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambient Monsters   Ambient Monsters Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16 2009, 13:51

NO lag please. bounce
Back to top Go down
harmjustice

harmjustice

Ambient Monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambient Monsters   Ambient Monsters Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16 2009, 18:20

Evil or Very Mad Curse the lag monster Surprised
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Ambient Monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambient Monsters   Ambient Monsters Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16 2009, 22:44

When I'm scripting, I spend a lot of time trying to reduce unnecessary coding. It would be great to have monsters wandering about, looking at things, etc, but it does take a lot of code to make that happen. As you no doubt know, the heartbeat script is executed every six seconds for every active creature in the module, including NPCs. Sometimes it amazes me just how much is going on computerwise on a game like NWN.

Right now, KTII doesn't have a lot of players, so the heartbeat script effects aren't as obvious. If KTII had 20 players online at the same time, each in different areas, the load would be pretty high. That's because monsters/NPCs activate if a player is in the area. If the area is empty, the creatures immediately exit the heartbeat script (it's still executed for every single creature object, except PC, but it ends quickly for inactive monsters).

Besides, what time I have available for the module should go to adding plots, reworking creatures/items/areas, etc. Monster AI scripting is undoubtedly the most complicated area.
Back to top Go down
harmjustice

harmjustice

Ambient Monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambient Monsters   Ambient Monsters Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2009, 07:33

Thats Kool Thank you for your response, I could offer some alternatives that could possibley fix the issue ... but undoubtly it would cause you more work, ( I would suggest to have timers on areas and if no one was in said area for lets say 10 minutes you would just simply despawn all creatures)
That would even solve the struggle we have with accidently over spawning monsters by either have a henchmen or being in a party...
Many a time have I been unable to kill what I encountered, and that would leave me with few choices, either to go to different area, log in another higher lvl toon to clean spawn, or struggle)...
But no worries I was just woundering, cheers Keep up the good work!!!

God bless, T
Back to top Go down
DarkSky

DarkSky

Ambient Monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambient Monsters   Ambient Monsters Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2009, 09:50

Sarah, we so need a reset, Warbot isn't spawning, I tried for an hour last night with two other players and again this morning with T. Thank you!

Hope it's ok to post here, didn't want to start new subjest.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Ambient Monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambient Monsters   Ambient Monsters Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2009, 12:53

If the warbot isn't respawning, a reset will only spawn him once. After that, he's gone again. I'll have to check the script in the morning (Japan time) and load an update to the server.

As for deleting monsters after a certain time if no one enters an area, that's possible. Monsters in areas without PCs do not run the full heartbeat script. They basically exit the script almost immediately. However, I see your point about areas that may be too tough due to a massive spawn. I'll see what I can do.
Back to top Go down
DarkSky

DarkSky

Ambient Monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambient Monsters   Ambient Monsters Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17 2009, 13:41

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ambient Monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambient Monsters   Ambient Monsters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ambient Monsters
Page 1 of 1