Knights Templar NWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights Templar NWN

A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hellball Spell

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sarah the DM

Hellball Spell Empty
PostSubject: Hellball Spell   Hellball Spell Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03 2009, 20:01

Is hellball too powerful?

in my opinion, hellball is one of those spells that should leave you near death or dead depending on your saving throw. If you are zapped by one, please consider:

Were you at full health when it hit? I used to drink a heal potion as soon as I saw a hellball being cast.

Did you make or fail the saving throw?

If you failed the saving throw, scroll back and see what you needed to make the save. You should have about a 75% success rate if you have appropriate items (rings of will, potions, etc).

Did you have resistances appropriate for hellball to reduce the damage if the save was failed?

Please let me know if you find out you couldn't make the save even with appropriate items and potions and the damage was too high to survive even if you saved. If you're killed by a hellball, there's at least four possibilities:

Character not configured to survive it.
Character weakened and/or failed save when hit.
Monster abilities set too high so saving throw too difficult to make.
Spell damages set too high so spell isn't reasonably survivable.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Hellball Spell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hellball Spell   Hellball Spell Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03 2009, 20:13

Original version of the spell did: 10d6 points of acid, fire, electrical and sonic damage. If you failed the save and had no damage resistance to any of the types, the typical damage from the original spell was only 140 HP.

I'll look at the coding for the KT version and report back.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Hellball Spell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hellball Spell   Hellball Spell Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04 2009, 12:27

The modified KT version does up to 12d20 of each of the four damage types. That sounds like an incredible amount, but that's only 126 typical damage per type (a bit more than 500 damage total), not counting saving throws and damage reduction. Given a reduction of at least 20 by the time you're in one of the last dungeons and a successful save, you would take about 200 damage. That would likely kill an otherwise unprotected/unbuffed caster, but it won't do in the other character types who would have a minimum of 240 HP fully healed. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hellball Spell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hellball Spell   Hellball Spell Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hellball Spell
Page 1 of 1